When I was in Berlin, I visited the amazing restaurant called Spreegold. This was where I had my first experience of Aubergine & Coconut Mash.
So I had to try and replicate this at home and it worked out a treat! Yes, before you say anything reader, it doesn’t look like the most appetising thing in the world but trust me, it is delicious!
(Top: Spreegold Bottom: Pulled pork burger with homemade slaw and Aubergine & Coconut Mash)
150g King Edward Potatoes
1/3 cup of Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp of crushed garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp of Desiccated Coconut *
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
*For something more savoury, try replacing the desiccated coconut with thyme!
1. Pierce your aubergine several times all the way around. Place them in a heatproof oven dish and drizzle 1tbsp of olive oil over each aubergine. Place in an oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until the aubergine is soft.
(Times can vary depending of size of your aubergines)
2. Whilst your aubergines are roasting, peel your potatoes and place them in a pot of boiling water and place over a medium heat on your stove, seasoning the water with a little salt. Wait until the potatoes are soft and strain.
3. Once your aubergines are soft, remove from oven and strip them of their flesh, scooping out the soft pulp with a spoon. Place this in a bowl and start mashing using a masher.
4. Add the garlic and coconut milk and slowly integrate the potatoes. Once the mix starts to incorporate, change from using the masher to an electric whisk to eradicate any lumps.
5. Once the mix starts to look like mashed potatoes, fold in the desiccated coconut. Season with salt and black pepper to taste
(Sirlion Steak, Aubergine and Coconut Mash, Sliced Greens, Garlic Potatoes & Peppercorn Sauce)
Tip: Why not make your Peppercorn sauce with Coconut Milk?
What is particularly awesome about this recipe too is that it is Vegan friendly for those who have dietary requirements. Also it is quite filling. I hope you enjoy it!
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know your thoughts.
Share it on Instagram and don’t forget to tag me @teaandbake!